WELCOME TO BLACKBURN HOLLOW

This is our secret place (ok, maybe it's not so secret) where we can do the things we love to do and share them with anyone who's interested. I'll write about family, art projects, making movies on Windows Movie Maker and Adobe Premiere Elements and a number of other things. Please comment, respond and ask questions. If you are familiar with WMM and APE, please join me in discussions.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Is There Anything Worse Than Having To Set An Elegant Table?

Could the universe have sent ole' brer rabbit anything more miserable to do today? Did Santa Claus come up with this wicked scheme to give me a day at work DECORATING A TABLE? Are you kidding? Would you like me to eat a Toblerone and drink Prosecco with strawberries too? The only thing that might have made me more unhappy is if Peter Rowan and Tim O'Brian had been playing live at Flip Flop Foto today. Yes, poor me had to do two table settings for the Red Cross "Summerscapes" fund raiser. They are both terrific -- if I do say so myself. Following are the imaginary menus for my two hypothetical table settings.

At the Blackburn Hollow table a couple would
have a romantic Mediterranean-style meal.

Tilapia with Calamata olives and cherry tomatoes
(From Kevin and Drew's garden) in a citrus-garlic broth
Served over couscous with Young Asparagus sauteed with lemon, butter, slivered garlic and olive oil, Daddy's homemade Sunday French Baguettes
and for desert...Summer Figs marinated in red wine and baked into a firm, rich chocolate pudding. (I had this at a Greek Restaurant in Chicago in 1997 and again in 1999 - AMAZING. Find this recipe and I will love you forever!)

At the Opelika-Auburn News Table

A Creamy Crab and Corn Chowder paired with
Fresh Mesclun Greens topped with crisp Parmesan corn bread croutons and thick cut bacon served with homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette
Warm Sourdough Bread
Baked Pears with a Bourbon Glaze and shaved Dark Chocolate for Dessert

Next year I think the Red Cross should pair the tables with restaurants in town and auction meals at the tables. I think they could double their money!
If you want to vote for one of my tables visit

All the proceeds benefit the Lee County Red Cross.

Yes, I have already voted for my own tables. Despicable, I know. But what do you expect from Brer Rabbit?


No comments:

Post a Comment